Friday, April 29, 2011

A Greeting Card that Made My Day

The other night I made the Picket Fence Post kids a healthy, tasty dinner. I marinated chicken breast and Vidalia onions in Soy Vay Island Teriyaki sauce. I stuck them onto skewers along with grape tomatoes, red pepper slices, fresh cilantro, halved mushrooms and freshly sliced oranges. While grilling the shish kebobs, I also put fresh mango slices on a skewer. It was all served with sides of plain yet handmade (not by me) pasta and sliced apples. If they wanted to put a mango salsa onto the food, they could do that too.

The kids hardly ate a thing. One said he was too full from his afterschool snack. Another ate only pasta and sliced apples. The third ate a minuscule amount of food then also claimed a lack of appetite.

Normally, I would’ve been uber-ticked off because I spent a decent amount of time preparing this healthy meal only to have The Ungratefuls scorn it. But today I received a card in the mail from one of my friends. On the front was a drawing of mismatched kitchen chairs, a white wooden kitchen table, a bottle of wine, two wine glasses and what appears to be a salad bowl. The sentiment read as follows: “A good cook knows that it’s not what is on the table that matters. It’s what is in the chairs.”

Thank you Julie for giving me something positive to hang onto while the kids turned their noses up at yet another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment